I concentrated on practical project BOLT. Liz concentrated on theoretical project BOLT and practical project ME.
I discovered that the bolts did not do electricity under water. I did not understand anything that Liz had discovered. I apologised to Liz early one Sunday “I made a big mistake when I was younger – there was something I should have concentrated on.” She said one word: metal. “No!” I said with a feigned look of surprise on my face.
“I mean…” “Really?” And I kissed her.
We needed practical proof that our bolts had something special – a very long battery life. The little car bulb was still lit after four months, but it was not interesting nor practical. I cut some bolts to AA size and fitted them in five pocket torches (flashlights) that were always lit.
That was the easy bit, what about replacing the rechargeable battery in my smart phone? I extracted the very thin lithium battery from my phone. Was it thin! I measured the size and the voltage.
I needed long pieces of thin steel rod. I bent each piece into a spiral. I applied my secret method to them. I glued three spirals onto a thin but rigid piece of plastic the same size as the lithium battery and wired the three positive ends to a little bronze battery connector, ditto for the negative ends.
It worked – maybe I would never have to charge my phone again.
I could do better, the phone battery could look more interesting. I made another for Liz’s phone. I used thin threaded rod, I bent the pieces into zigzag shapes (double‑U times five) and glued them to a clear piece of thin plastic.
Oh yes! Much better optic. The zigzags were better than the spirals: more power (better use of area) and the plus pole was always top left (after a possible rotation).
I made several prototypes, I read the name and address of the manufacturer of Liz’s phone and sent them an email.